Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to school.


Today was Amaya's first day of pre-k! And Kayla's 2nd day of first grade!
She was excited as we walked to school, carrying her nap mat and chatting with the crossing guard. She anxiously awaited for us to find her classroom and when we walked in she met her teacher and found her desk. It was all smiles until she realized that Kayla and I were leaving her...alone...all day at school. The tears started coming and she just kept hugging me and saying...No Mommy, don't go. I want Kayla to stay! I love you! It KILLED me to leave her, but I knew that once we were outta sight, she would be fine. Kayla had a harder time leaving her than I did. Amaya's teacher sat down beside her,...I saw that she was occupied, so I quickly slipped out of the door. Kayla was right behind me, but she kept looking back at Amaya. Once outside Kayla yelled in "I love you, Maya!"
As I was walking Kayla to her classroom, she said "Mommy, it hurts me when Maya's upset. I feel sad when she's sad. I hope she's ok..." I assured Kayla that she would be fine and that Maya would love school just like she does and I told her what a great big sister she is and how proud I am that my little girls love each other so much.
After dropping Kayla off, I walked back home...and amazingly, I didn't cry. I have always been terrified that when the time came, I wouldn't be able to let go. It was mind over matter today, but I did it and without tears.
And now I get to enjoy a peaceful day of working from home with no children! I'm celebrating!

No comments: